At the 27th Biennial World Championship Cheese Contest in Wisconsin, USA an Australian parmesan cheese has won the top honors. Mil Lel Superior Parmesan is the lucky winner. Their cheese scored 98.5 out of 100 points and beat entries from USA. New Zealand and Europe for the best tasting parmesan cheese of the world. One would have expected an Italian cheese to win these honers.
There is a strong controversy about parmesan cheese. A European court rules recently that only cheese produced near the Italian town of Parma can legally bear this name.
Mil Lel cheese is produced in the town of Simpson in southern Victoria by the Dairy Farmers co-operative. The members of the co-operative are, of course, very proud of this achievement.
Results World Cheese Championship
Category 19 Parmesan
1. Simpson Grana Team Australian Co-Operative Foods Lidcombe, NSW 1825, Australia Best of Class Mil Lel Superior Parmesan
2.Aaron Quick Sartori Food Corporation Antigo, WI USA Second Award Sarvecchio parmesan
3. Josh Krause BelGioioso Cheese, Inc. Denmark, WI USA Third Award Parmesan
Also in category 34 – Camembert & Other Surface (Mold) Ripened Cheeses – Australian products were the best, and again it came from Victoria.
1. Burnie Team National Foods, Ltd. Mulgrave, Victoria 3180, Australia Best of Class Tasmanian Heritage Traditional Camembert
2. Burnie Team National Foods, Ltd. Mulgrave, Victoria 3180, Australia Second Award TH Signature camembert
3. Roland Weidenholzer Berglandmilch / Schardinger A-4066 Pasching, Austria Third Award Schardinger Rahm-Camembert
I could not find any German cheese among the award winners. Most categories were dominated by USA cheeses but there were also winners from the Netherlands, New Zealand, South Africa, Switzerland, Sweden, Italy, Canada, Portugal, Denmark, Austria, Spain and France.
The overall winner, however, was a cheese from Europe. World Champion was
Le Gruyere Switzerland
Made by Michael Spycher
Champion Round Score: 98.82
The First Runner-Up came from Italy.
Made by CERPL Cheesemakers
CERPL for DCI Cheese Co.
Champion Round Score: 98.56
The Second Runner-Up came again from Switzerland.
Made by Bernhard Naf
Champion Round Score: 98.42
Check out the results on the following website:
Happy tasting of your own cheese.